I am a penny pincher. A cheapskate. A tightwad. And I'm proud of it. I really don't like to spend my money on anything. When I do break down and spend a little (or a lot), I always feel like I'm spending too much. I like getting stuff for free (and I often do) but my FAVORITE thing is when companies pay ME to take their stuff (and they sometimes do).
Most of the time being a penny pincher is great. (Remember when I got $170.00 worth of groceries for $1.50? That was sooooo cool!) With a little effort, I can find (almost) anything on sale. But sometimes, being a penny pincher REALLY STINKS.
Take for example, exhibit A: Tonight, Garrit and I went to Target to buy a few essentials. We checked out and Garrit paid for the groceries. I was busy with Drew so I didn't calculate before hand how much our purchases would cost. When I heard the checker say, "$101.98" I nearly fainted! "What in the world did my crazy husband buy?" I thought to myself.
While happy-go-lucky Garrit was pushing our shopping cart and baby to the car, I frantically checked our receipt. I stopped in my tracks as I read the first item on the list.
Cream of Weber Orange Juice... $4.99
"What! That's outrageous! What a scam!" I cried as onlookers quickly escaped to their vehicles wearing warm, winter coats and cold, contemptuous looks. "How can they charge $4.99 for a gallon of orange juice???" I yelled. "A can of orange juice concentrate costs 99 cents at Wal-Mart!"
Then came the melt-down. I won't tell you all the gory details. I'll just say that as I read the receipt aloud there in the Target parking lot, I had a "tantrum" (to put it lightly). That was about 2 hours ago and there is still a hint of steam billowing out of my ears.
Garrit has been very patient with his penny pinching wife. He likes to save money too. However, sometimes (like tonight) my frantic frugality frustrates him. We didn't buy anything REALLY expensive at Target; just some jeans for Garrit, jammies and socks for Drew, and ingredients for the curry I'm making for dinner tomorrow night. So, why did I freak out in the parking lot and totally embarrass my husband and sister? Like I said earlier, "sometimes being a penny pincher REALLY STINKS".
So, I'm sorry, Garrit and Sarah, for the rampage. And I'm going to try not to worry about the 5 dollar orange juice, the 4 dollar carrots and the 25 dollar jeans. And I'm going to be thankful for all the really, really cheap things in life. Like beans. And 75 cent bread at the Hostess Bakery outlet. And the "as-is" section at Ikea.
The End.
P.S. If you like to save money too, check out www.pinchingyourpennies.com.
9 comments:
I really want to be a penny pincher but I've never been able too! I checked out the site you mentioned and now I want to know how I use the coupons they listed in my area. It dosen't show a coupon just what the coupon is for. Help me be a penny pincher too!!!
Penny pinching is great sometimes but it can sure make you crazy when you need something NOW and don't have time to look for a deal! Just be glad you don't always pay $5 for juice!
Leah really didn't get that upset, she didn't embarrass me at all. I just find it amusing, she is very careful about what she spends. I fell really lucky. Some wife’s drop loads of cash left and right and don't think twice about it. I am grateful for Leah's frugality. I would rather be married to a penny pincher than a shopoholic. (This is Garrit, not Leah).
I'm so not a penny pincher...lets face it...but I do hate spending money on food...such a waste, that and gas..ugh, it's the worst. I'd rather use my hard earned money for some cute clothes at the Gap for the kids, or a new gun for Dave...or when I'm being selfish, a new DB purse..but that's just me! But I did enjoy your story and think that your great for being you!
Leah, you are hilarious. Your frugality is an inspiration!
we're going home the dec 27th until the 7th of january! we must get together. we go up to salt lake ALL the time! so shad should just drop me off at your house or we'll stop by or something! i want to see you!
we're going home the dec 27th until the 7th of january! we must get together. we go up to salt lake ALL the time! so shad should just drop me off at your house or we'll stop by or something! i want to see you!
ps, i saw garrit at school today...funny huh? anyway, i need your phone number or e-mail or something! i can't find any of it! ugh. so...e-mail me or call me!
Leah, a new HEB Marketplace just opened up near our house, and to convince us to shop there they gave us 3 weeks worth of free coupons. Prices there were much more expensive than in other stores in our area. We used our free coupons and then waited for the manager to come over and approve our $0.00 total. After getting about $60 worth of free groceries during that time we haven't been back (too expensive). That was a very dull story, but I thought the penny pincher in you might like it.
Post a Comment