Sunday, April 18, 2010

Love and Marriage...

I love being married. And I love being Mormon. And I love being married to a Mormon. Most of all I love that I was married in the Los Angeles Temple to my husband for "time and all eternity."



I really do. Really.

My husband and I have arguments and disagreements, we have moments of intense stress, but it is so nice to know that working through the challenges of life will only make us stronger and help us build a foundation for our life together in eternity. We're stuck with each other :) And we love it.

Today in church the cutest little 20-something spoke in Sacrament meeting. He is about to be married... and so our bishop asked him to speak on the topic of eternal marriage.

The speaker talked about the difference between a contractual marriage (or civil marriage) and a covenant marriage (or temple marriage, where the parties involved make covenants with God.)

He quoted Elder Bruce C. Hafen who said, "When troubles come, the parties to a contractual marriage seek happiness by walking away. They marry to obtain benefits and will stay only as long as they’re receiving what they bargained for. But when troubles come to a covenant marriage, the husband and wife work them through. They marry to give and to grow, bound by covenants to each other, to the community, and to God. Contract companions each give 50 percent; covenant companions each give 100 percent."

Maybe that's why the divorce rate among Mormons is only 6 percent.

It was a good reminder to give my husband 100 percent and to try to increase the love and spirituality in our marriage.

Because I'm stuck with him :) So we might as well be nice to him, right?

Read more of Elder Hafen's talk here and more about LDS Temple marriage here.

1 comment:

Sofia said...

I like very much your post. Very good and all true.Congrats!