Thursday, June 7, 2012
Sometimes I wonder why I am so stressed out... or why I look and feel like a zombie all the time. And then I have nights like tonight and I remember. It's only 3 am and I'm up for the day thanks to my psycho five year-old.
Usually my kids will take turns waking me up through the night. Sometimes they wet the bed then wake up, other times it's a nightmare, and sometimes they're just hungry or thirsty. The nights that they wake up wet or are hungry/thirsty are the easy nights. I change them or get what they need and then they're back to bed.
But it's nights like tonight that drive me completely crazy.
Tonight Drew woke up at 2 am and for no apparent reason was furious at me. Furious. I must have done something horrible in my sleep (maybe I snored too loud?) because he's huffing and puffing, walking in and out of his room, turning the lights on and off in the house, slamming doors, crying, moving the furniture around, making messes, and (oh yeah) waking up the other children (and my poor husband who has worked 14 hour days for the past three days). Awesome, right?
I can't get mad at him when he's like this because this only infuriates him more. And there's no reasoning with him. So... I wait it out. (And complain about it on my blog.) Sometimes he'll go back to bed on his own in an hour. Sometimes it takes longer. Either way the other kids are usually wide awake and I get to do our one to two hour bedtime routine all over again.
I know other people's kids sleep through the night. I wonder how I got so lucky with these non-sleepers.
Maybe I should get an Ambien prescription so I just sleep through all of it? Or maybe I should just lock the kids in their rooms at night and get some of those earplugs they use on airport runways?
Well, either way it got me back on my blog.
Hello world! It's me! Leah! I'm back on my blog! I'm still alive! (Sort of.)
Someday when my kids stop acting so crazy I'll tell you more about my lovely life. It's actually not that bad. The kids are really funny during the day. Maybe it's all that non-sleeping that makes them hilarious?
So... yeah. Thanks for listening. And now I've gotta go get Lily back to sleep... Hope you're all enjoying your night.
XOXO
Leah
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
That sounds horrible! When you're old, and Drew is taking care of you, maybe you can pay him back by pulling the same stunt.
Boo to kids waking up in the night and boo to no sleeping! And what is it about the older kids causing most of it?! Anyway, I hope you sleep soon!
I know sleepless nights are no picnic - but just so you're comparing apples to apples, other people's kids don't sleep either. Just telling you so you don't beat yourself up, wondering why your kids are so different :) Kids sleeping through the night is a cruel belief that is propagated by people whose children are grown and they've forgotten - kind of like giving birth - you forget just how awful it was - probably because the sleepless nights damage our brains as parents! :)
I wish I knew something to help with Drew - but Hailee still has night terrors - and she's 10. I think they just have to work through it.
Wish I could be there to take them while they're being cute and funny so you could have a nap!
Miss you, Leah. Hope you get some rest soon!
Yikes, Leah! How can you stand it? Sleep deprivation is the worst.
Have you tried locking Drew in his room?
Dumb question, but are you sure he is awake? Michael used to get up during the night, scale furniture and figure out every complicated door lock or alarm system I had rigged for the night, and leave the apartment we were living in. He sometimes went to neighbors doors and cried about being hungry and not having food at our house,sometimes went to the laundry room and sat in a chair, but most often went out into the parking lot to look for my car, which he could never find. He would talk to whomever spoke to him, always hungry, and always I was no where to be found according to him. Good times, good times...
Maybe Ben and I are the last two people you'd ever turn to get advise- but I agree with locking them in. We had to do this with Grant when he figured out how to unbolt our front door (because the sneak would leave our house if we didn't). He got so used to it that he never got up anymore. Now we do the same thing with Henry (again- why do I have kids who LOVE to run away? and who KNOW how the locks work!?!). We keep his door locked until we go to bed (usually). They've both grown so used to it that bedtime isn't as much of a hassle as it used to be. Henry still freaks out and pounds on the door- but he knows we're not opening it unless there's an emergency. All we do is turn their doorknobs around. I'm sure you'd never lock your kids in for real like we do, because you're nicer than us- but just an FYI- it works.
Post a Comment