Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Should we stay or should we go.... to California?

Well, I had another baby! Yay!

You're probably thinking, "Didn't she just have a baby?"

Yes. Yes I did. Oh my gosh, I know. It's crazy. I have four kids. We are officially a big family!

Anyway, the day we brought baby Lucy home from the birthing center, our house became incredibly teeny and our lives became ridiculously busy. I started to think, "Why am I trying to raise four kids in this tiny house?" and my husband started to think, "Why is my wife trying to raise four kids without her mother? She needs help!"

So, we've been taking about moving our family to California. We certainly couldn't get a bigger house there... but the kids could play OUTSIDE which is just as good as having a bigger house in my book. And we would be closer to my parents.

The crazy thing is my husband REALLY, REALLY wants to move there. He says he's been thinking about it for a while and it feels right. And he wants to go NOW! (These are very unusual statements coming from a man who said he would never, EVER move outside of Utah.)

So now he is looking for jobs and I am looking for houses to rent (or buy).

But my question is... Are we crazy?

I mean, I know we are crazy but... are we crazy to want to move to one of the most expensive and liberal states in the nation? It seems like everyone my age left California to come to Utah for a better life. It's cheaper to live here, the job market is pretty good, and there are more conservative Mormon families.

Who knows if we'll really go. This might just be winter talking.

7 comments:

E B said...

Well, sometimes the Lord leads us in ways that seem crazy at the time. Here we are uprooting our little family yet again ourselves! Good luck figuring it all out.

Mary Kalree said...

Would it encourage you to say that it is 75 degrees and we went to play at the beach before lunch this morning?

Schmath said...

This winter is the worst! I feel doomed knowing I'll most likely live in Utah for the rest of my life. Get out while you can, while your husband's on board! But I wouldn't be surprised if California goes bankrupt.

Linda Abilez said...

Come. Come back to God's country! I cannot think of a better place to have raised my 4 kids than in Thousand Oaks. DO IT!

SKYE said...

California is great! Politics suck, but the whole nation sucks...so I say go where it's warmer and get out of Utah!

Unknown said...

Gosh, it's been so long since you've written on your blog that I thought you had stopped. I'm completely on board to your California move! I want to be part of the lives of my Grandchildren.

Sarah said...

I just walked passed the sign that says they are building 10 homes on that little strip of vacant land between University's playground and the road. Don't move there, but move close.