Saturday, September 24, 2011

Stuff That's Bugging Me Right Now

1. The blue carpet in my basement.

Seriously? Who buys blue carpet and installs it in their basement? (The people who lived here before us... that's who!) If you're going to install wall to wall carpeting, please pick something more neutral... like beige.

2. Americans.

We are a nation of glut and laziness. What happened to the hard working, problem solving, innovative melting pot that used to be us? Instead of working hard and solving problems, we're all sitting around on our fat butts wasting time on facebook. (Myself included.)

Read this book.

3. Carnivores.

No offense. It just really bugging me lately that we are using our precious grain to feed cows, pigs, chickens, etc. just so we can eat too many burgers, get fat, and die early. And this is all happening while children in Somalia are STARVING to death! And speaking of Somalian children starving... have you donated to UNICEF lately? Here's the link.

(Text FOOD to UNICEF (864233) to donate $10, enough to feed a child for 10 days or provide 321 sachets of nutrient powder to boost infant survival and development.)

*And I have to add a note here to my fellow Mormons... Since when did eating meat "sparingly" become bacon for breakfast, a burger for lunch, and fried chicken for dinner? Living in Utah has really opened my eyes to the growing problem of LDS people neglecting the Word of Wisdom. We are blessed to have the most perfect health code (A diet plan created by God himself!!!) but most of us completely neglect it and then wonder why God gives us trials like obesity and heart disease. Do yourselves and your families a favor and try something vegetarian.*

Read more about the Word of Wisdom here.

4. Health Care.

Our system is broken in so many ways. Pharmaceutical companies create drug after drug trying to fix problems that are only getting worse. Doctors prescribe pill after pill, trying to fix problems with the pills that only cause more problems.

We spend more on health care than any other nation and we're still the sickest. (Again, most of it has to do with our diet.)

The business of obstetrics is also really driving me crazy right now. Since when did sawing through a woman's abdomen and uterus become a "safer" method of delivery than a normal, vaginal delivery? (Oh yeah, since it only takes a doctor 45 minutes to deliver via c-section and insurance companies PAY MORE FOR IT!)

Have you seen The Business of Being Born? Cool documentary.

5. And of course, Football.

The mindless game invented by men, for men. I've tried so many times to make myself like it... but I just can't. It pains me to waste three hours of my life watching sweaty men tackle each other trying to fetch a stupid ball (all while self-absorbed blonde women in short skirts and pom poms cheer them on). My husband loves it, of course, so in the interest of our marriage and our children I will tolerate it... BUT IT DRIVES ME CRAZY!!! So I guess I'll just try to tackle the problems of the world (or at least punt) while my husband watches BYU tackle the University of Florida. And I'll try not to complain because, hey, there are a lot worse things he could be addicted to...

That's all for now.

Thanks for listening.

9 comments:

Garrit Jacobson said...

Okay, now that you got all that complaining out maybe write a few things that are going well. Overall, you have a pretty good life.

Schmath said...

Are you a vegetarian? I never knew you felt this way about meat! I think people figure gluttony isn't a very bad sin in the scope of things. That's how I justify my overeating, anyway. So many people have horrible addictions to drugs and porn-stuff that damages your soul, not just your body. I heard a statistic that approximately one person in every LDS family has a porn problem, and I'm not sure if it's true, but it puts things in perspective for me. Eating a burger every day just isn't that big of a deal when you're worried about your son or husband having a life-long porn addiction or when you have one yourself. But the starving people thing gives it all a new perspective.

I watched The Business of Being Born, and it was very persuasive, but I think it was also very one-sided. I don't think most doctors go into it just for the money, I think most of them really want what is best for their patients-including c-sections in some cases. I loved my c-sections, and it bugs me when people with natural births get all high and mighty about it and try to tell me that I did the wrong thing for my babies. I think it would have been foolish to try to birth my breach baby naturally or to risk my uterus rupturing with my second. But if I had a doctor who wanted me to do a c-section just cuz it was faster, I'd be pissed.

I'm totally with you on the football. What is it that our husbands find so entertaining about it? And if it's so awesome, why can't we stand to watch it? It's baffling.

Leah said...

Okay, okay. I'll post some non-complaining too.

And I'm with you on the problems of other addictions, Schmath. There are way worse things than overeating. Porn is a subject for a whole different blog post.

And I do agree that C-sections save babies and they are the absolute right thing to do in many situations. But there are doctors who do them just for convenience! It's crazy!

Leah said...

Oh yeah, and most cheerleaders are really wonderful people.

E B said...

I echo Schmath, but yes, healthcare in general is more of a anti-litigation matter right now and will be until we have tort reform. Doctors order extra tests or safer procedures etc to cover their behinds, because Americans are also sue-happy while sitting on their fat, lazy, sick behinds! Hey, why isn't my blog on your list?

Allison said...

I love ya Leah... VENT AWAY! That is what personal blogs are for right?

Kris said...

Amen, amen and amen! Since January I've been delving into less meat dieting, sampling around with vegitarian and vegan and plant-based recipes and love it. It's still piquing my interest which tells me it's not just a fad but nice change of heart and lifestyle that I think we'll be keeping around. Any good recipes to share? What are your vegitarian "go-to" meals for your fam? Really, e-mail me because I'm interested.

And I agree with Schmath regarding other sins/addictions, but I also counter that overeating and gluttony do not just affect the body. Consequences from horrible diet very much affect your soul, but I think they are not as immediate as other addictions to porn or drug abuse, so people ignore or overlook them. You can't damage your body without affecting your soul as well. (Especially when your health, or lack thereof, impedes your ability to be an effective tool in the hands of the Lord.)

Shana said...

I'm totally with you all the way! Nice post. :)

Lisa Wolf Smith said...

I 100% agree with you Leah!
I think the doctrine of the Church teaches that this physical world- including our bodies, animals, and resources- are sacred and a precious and beautiful gift from God. Too many people purposefully give no thought to how they are damaging and neglecting those gifts for their own convenience.

I meet more and more people in the Church who do have these same thoughts, but don't speak out. So they think they are all alone in thinking them.

Go you!