Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Now We're Cookin'

Two years ago my kitchen looked like this.



And this.



Today, it looks like this.







It has taken a lot of time, creativity, and elbow grease to finish our kitchen on a grad school budget but we're finally done!!! (Minus a few colorful accessories... I can't decide if I want to do my accents in red or yellow...)

Anyway, here's what we did:

Built and island using MDF (in the garage), painted it black and added Ikea hardware. (About $100 for materials. Garrit borrowed the tools he needed from his dad. Thanks Blair!)

Replaced the sub floor and vinyl floor with Ikea Tundra laminate. (Around $400 for the sub floor and laminate in the kitchen and dining room.)

Painted the cabinets white, then black, and replaced the hardware. (I found the cabinet in the as-is section at Ikea... so we only paid about $25 for those. We had to pay like $65 for the hinges on ebay because the big box stores didn't have the right ones. Paint and supplies... $20)

Replaced all the counter tops with Ikea butcher block and stained and sealed them to match the floor. (Around $300 for the counters, stain, and sealant.)

Installed recessed lighting (thanks Danny and Garrit!) to brighten things up. (Around $85)

Installed a new subway tile back splash for about $85. (Thanks Casey!)

It's a good thing we're finished because our little chef was getting antsy.



Ahhh. Much better.

15 comments:

Schmath said...

Wow! That looks amazing! How do you like the wood countertops? Do you have to be careful not to nick them?

Lisa Wolf Smith said...

That is amazing Leah! Inspirational even!

Unknown said...

Looks great! Love the backsplash. Great job, Garrit.
I vote red accessories. It needs the pop!

Shana said...

Wow! It's amazing that you did that much for that little $....too cool! As for the accents, I'd go with red. but that's just me. Do what you want, lol. ;)

Janae said...

Love.your.kitchen! Love!

When I get a chance to breathe, we need to hang out together or something. I like other cool people. Even if they're busy with kids. :)

The Mathews Family said...

Great job! It looks beautiful - we love Ikea, all of the kids furniture & their floors are from there too!

Taryn said...

It looks great, Leah! Where did you get the subway tile??

Jessica said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! I want to go and pain my cabinet right now!

Kim Dubois said...

Wow. I love it so much. Nice work, guys!

E B said...

That butcherblock looks great. I vote red, too.

Bingham fam said...

oK you guys need to come and do my kitchen now! That is awesome. yOu belong on HGTV! WAY TO GO!!!

zippy said...

This kitchen redo is SO beautiful!! What a great talent you and Garrit have Leah! Oh and, I too vote red for the accent color. : )

Unknown said...

Your kitchen is so amazing! wow! and your little girl is such an angel congrats to you guys!

Lindsay said...

wow, it looks awesome. im totally jealous. i want my kitchen to look like that.

Stacey said...

It looks so good! My mom wants to renovate her kitchen but is worried about $$$. I'll have to pick your brain for more tips! These were great!