Today I found this clip on African American voters in California who support Obama but oppose same-sex marriage. What fascinates me about this video clip is the argument of Alice Huffman, President of the California NAACP. Alice supports same-sex marriage and compares the struggle of gay marriage activists to black activists during the civil rights movement.
(The comparison of African Americans to Americans living a homosexual lifestyle is a very common comparison used to promote the legalization of same-sex marriage. I believe this comparison is inaccurate... but that's another
blog for another day.)
Back to Alice. After comparing racial segregation to Proposition 8, Alice goes on to make a very telling statement. Please watch the clip and listen closely to what Alice says. (Sorry about the commercial.)
5 comments:
I agree with you Leah. :) Well written.
Something else that struck me too, was that if you take her quote, "Anytime government intervenes and tells you what you CAN or can not do, it's a denial of your rights", then if Prop 8 fails, government, according to her words, is intervening with the majority of people who don't agree with same sex marriage and denying them THEIR rights.
Leah,
I fully agree. I'm going to put a link to your blog on mine- this stuff is so critical. Thanks for keeping your blog updated on this issue. Yes for Prop 8!
Dionne
I think you and a friend of mine would be good blogging buddies. She has posted some situations that have happened in MA in regards to same sex marriage materials in the schooling systems. Such a disaster! If you wanna check it out her blog is cookzoo.blogspot.com.
What did you think about the Lds protestors who told the church leaders they needed to back off on this issue? I couldnt believe it!
great post!
thank you!
http://prop8discussion.wordpress.com/2008/10/20/separate-but-equal/
wait- did that news report say that obama doesnt support gay marriage, but he DOES think it should be legal in california? that doesnt make any sense! i'm getting confused...
Post a Comment